Photogrammetry Testing 5 – MVE (Multiview Environment)

Here’s the original post, and links to all posts

I have previously outlined my goal of testing multiple photogrammetry solutions on a single dataset, and reporting times and results.

I’m using a dataset based on photographs of this Styracosaurus model (I’ve had it since I was quite young):


The dataset has 53 photos in total, and is available from this link. [This will be moved to figshare in due course].

The model is about 12 cm in total length, has texture for the scales, and a reflective brass nameplate on the base. The model was situated on a glass desk, and there may be reflection issues from that.

Previously, I ran through sparse reconstruction with OpenMVG, followed by dense reconstruction with MVE.  Today, I’ll use MVE (or Multiview Environment) to complete the whole process.

I’m running everything directly from the binaries directory for MVE, and creating a new project within there called ‘styracMVE’, which is set up with the following command:

makescene.exe -i ..\Blog\Photogrammetry\Styrac\ styracMVE

This tells the makescene executable to create a new folder called ‘styracMVE’ in the current directory, and use the images in ..\Blog\Photogrammetry\Styrac as the source.

Time taken: 12.5 seconds

The we need to reconstruct the camera locations with sfmrecon (structure from motion reconstruction):

sfmrecon.exe styracMVE

That is, reconstruct based on the scene input we just created.

Time Taken: 27 seconds

After this, the process is identical to that used in the previous post, except that this time I’m using windows binaries instead of Linux (so the ‘/’ changes to ‘\’):

dmrecon.exe styracMVE

Time taken: 549 seconds

scene2pset.exe -F2 styracMVE styracMVE\pset-L2.ply

Time taken: ~10 seconds

fssrecon.exe styracMVE\pset-L2.ply styracMVE\surface-L2.ply

Time taken: 1457 seconds

meshclean.exe -t10 styracMVE\surface-L2.ply styracMVE\surface-L2-clean.ply

Time taken: 6 seconds

And here’s the uncoloured and coloured result:


Total Time: 2061.5 seconds

So, slightly quicker than using OpenMVG to match cameras, and al almost identical result.

MVE summary

Well, there really is very little difference with using openMVG to do the matching, at least with the basic parameters I used each time, but it was about 3-4 minutes quicker overall.  The model is almost identical – perhaps a little more complete around the base, but the same areas are still missing.

Final model (downloadable from sketchfab):


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Website Built with

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: