In which I tried - and failed - to document pros and cons for about a million different combinations of software.
Getting good supports, printing with Dremel Idea Builder 3D20
**update 21/2/19: Not only has Dremel moved to a waaay better slicing software (based on Cura), but the latest firmware (v1.5, 20180611) has enabled standard *.gcode support for the 3D20 model. Finally...** Last year I got hold of a Dremel Idea Builder 3D printer. It’s been great, and I’ve been able to print a... Continue Reading →
New Paper: Sivatherium, a big, extinct, giraffid
New paper out today in Biology Letters led by Chris Basu and with John Hutchinson, both from the Royal Vet College. Sivatherium is an extinct Giraffid from the Plio-Pleistocene boundary (~2.5 million years ago), found near the foothills of what is today (and indeed basically was then…) the Himalayas. It’s an interesting beasty that has... Continue Reading →
Heron Tracks added to site.
New data uploaded - Heron tracks in mud.
New data uploaded – Horse trampled beach
Just a quick post to say that I've added a new data set to the Neoichnology resources page. It's an interesting [to me at least] area of beach sand trampled by horses (I think 2-3, but didn't see the tracks being made), heading in two directions. I recorded it for two reasons: The first is... Continue Reading →
The Historical Photogrammetry Challenge – over to you!
In 2014, colleagues and I published a photogrammetric reconstruction of the Paluxy River dinosaur ‘chase sequence,’ as generated from photographs taken before and during its excavation in 1940. (Blog post here). Photogrammetry has become pretty common now; commercial and open source programs are widely being used by all kinds of people, including palaeontologists, and there are... Continue Reading →
Weighing Dinosaurs (and other animals) with Meshlab
A couple of years ago, I was part of a group that published a method on calculating body mass in extinct animals from laser scans of their skeletons. The method involves separating the model into parts, and then using the qhull command to produce a volume that encloses the segment as tightly as possible. This... Continue Reading →